Supporting the Spiritual and Educational Needs of our Congregation
The library at House of Prayer Lutheran Church is a source of over one thousand books, videocassettes, DVD’s, audiocassettes, music CDs, and periodicals that members can borrow to enrich their faith, give comfort and guidance throughout life’s stages, or just provide adults and children with some leisure reading.
Our library operates on a self-service basis - patrons can check books out and return them at any time. The library card catalog is accessible online at our Library Catalog.
Check out these new books in our Library!
- We Matter: Athletes and Activism by Etan Thomas
- Everything Must Change: When the World's Biggest Problems and Jesus' Good News Collide by Brian McLaren
- An Inconveneint Sequel: Truth to Power (DVD and book) by Al Gore
- Dear Friend: Letters of Encouragement, Humor and Love for Women with Breast Cancer by Gina L. Mulligan
- Raising a Soul Surfer: One Family’s Epic Tale by Cheri Hamilton
- Every Woman in the Bible by Sue and Larry Richards
- The ABC’s of Financial Freedom by Barry L. Cameron
- Homegoing by Yaa Gyasi - Traces the diverging family stories of two sisters from Ghana in the 1700's to America in 1960.
- The Dog That Talked to God by Jim Kraus - A woman cannot forgive God for the deaths of her husband and young son. It takes her new pet Rufus to help her restart her life.
- People of the Book series by Geraldine Brooks - The fascinating history of a Jewish prayer book as it traveled through the centuries from Spain to war-torn Bosnia.
- When Lightning Struck by Dankia Cooley - A novel about the life of Martin Luther
- All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr - A blind French girl and a young German soldier cross paths during World War ll
- Asking for Trouble: (London Confidential) by Sandra Byrd - Where British fashion, friendships and guys collide and where an all-American girl learns to love life and live out her faith.
- A Young Woman After God’s Own Heart: A Teen’s Guide to Friends, Faith, Family, and the Future series by Elizabeth George
- Soldier Boys by Dean Hughes - Parallel stories of two young teens, one American and the other German, who decide it would be heroic and exciting to join their armies and fight in World War II.
- Giant Pumpkin Suite by Melanie Heuiser Hill (a former House of Prayer pastor!) - Rose is obsessively practicing her cello to win a spot studying with a famous master while her twin brother, Thomas, is helping a neighbor grow his unusual pumpkin.
We have hundreds of picture books, beginners’ Bibles, Bible story books, chapter books, and classics for babies through grade school readers. Come take a look and check some out!
Music and Video:
Take home some of our growing collection! CD’s by:
- Augsburg Centennial Singers
- Minneapolis Commodores
- Gustavus Adolphus choirs and bands
- Amy Grant
- Tom Tipton
- Happiness Emporium
- Barbary Coast Band
DVD’s such as:
- An Inconvenient Truth
- And more!
BIBLIOTHERAPY: Reading as a means of promoting emotional growth and health; the therapeutic use of books. Our library has many books that can help you or a loved one in dealing with troubling issues:
Alcoholism & Addiction, Abuse, Aging & Eldercare, Anger, Grief & Loss, Illness, Loneliness, Marriage, Mental health, Parenting, Self-esteem, and Stress & Anxiety. Just use the online card catalog and type in the topic you are seeking.
If you choose a book on a sensitive subject, rather than writing your name, feel free to just note "Out" and the date on the book checkout card. Return the book when you are finished.
If reading does not ease your mind, do not hesitate to ask a pastor for guidance — and don’t forget the power of prayer!
Since our budget is small, we rely on the generosity of church members to replenish our shelves. We are always grateful for the donation of recently published books or cash gifts in honor or memory of special occasions. Donated items that we cannot use will be passed on to Goodwill or ARC stores.
If you have questions or suggestions, please contact one of the church librarians: Mary Markes, Mary Johnson, Chris Larson, & Ruth Nordholm.